Saturday, October 01, 2005

No Dogs Allowed!

When Katrina made her way towards the Gulf Coast, people were told to evacuate. In the evacuation, most people didn't have time to grab much. They left with the clothes on their backs, children didn't have time to grab special toys, people didn't have time to grab the items that mattered most. Heartbreaking decisions were made. How do we leave our family pets? I couldn't ever understand the heartbreaking decision that so many families face, leaving their pets, nor do I ever want to.


It is esimated that more then one million people evactuated their homes following Hurrican Katrina which means, according to the US Census formula, that at least 217,228 dogs and 247,191 cats were directly affected. That is only an estimate, some figure the government came nothing but a statistic. No one really know how many animals were truely effected. Sadly as the days past more animals die of starvation and lack of water, who know what kind of medical attention they might need. It is a sad thing to see animals on the news, barking or meowing for help, to only be passed by. As I watched these images my heart breaks! How could people pass up starving animals? Then again, who knows what kind of instructions or rules they might have from the people controling the area, or their bosses for that matter. I still couldn't pass them up, I would rather fill my boat full of animals ans swim along side then leave them to an unknown fate, MY GOD THESE ARE PEOPLE's PETS!!

Whatever the reason there are people all across this country looking to help out in anyway they can from pet food companies sending truck loads of food to people fostering pets, to people making donations. To find out how you can help, find a lost pet, or learn more about what is going on with the rescuse please check out these websites.


To help the affected animals please contact the ASPCA or go to:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=hurricane_home



Or if you are missing a pet or want another way to help go to:

http://www.petfinder.com/disaster/index.html

Thanks for visiting!

9 comments:

Isaac Carmichael said...

I think my pets would be the first thing I grabbed.

Astoria said...

I have to compeletly agree! I wouldn't have been able to leave without my pet!

Sylvana said...

There were a lot of people that refused to leave because they would have to leave their pets behind if they left. I don't blame them. Sometimes a pet is a better friend than any person you may meet.

Astoria said...

Agreed, as an only child my dog was for many years my only real friend, to leave him would have been the death of me. I miss him still pretty much everyday! I loved that dog! I would have rather died myself then leave my best friend behind!

sands of time said...

I dont know if i could leave my pets.They are totally dependent and trust you.It must be devasting to look into their faces knowing your abandoning them.

sands of time said...

I followed a link here from Sylvanas blog.

Astoria said...

Pink Lady: Well hello there! Thanks for the comments, I agree with you! I love my pets and could never leave them! :)

SierraBella said...

Hi! Came over from Sylvana's.

We bought our pickup truck with our dogs in mind especially in case of wildfire.

Just thinking of the look on their faces should we need to leave them makes me sick to my stomach.

Astoria said...

Hello thanks for the comment. I know exactly how you feel!!